Monday, June 25, 2007

Why am I not pretty? I know some of us frequently ask ourselves the same question. And when we ask our parents they'll usually say "Your not pretty, they are just insecure of you. Nevermind them, just look at the mirror and judge for yourself". Yeah right.
Ever since I could remember, I was always fat. Kids from my neighborhood used to tease me "Pig!". It's the same at school too, but I never really minded it. But I do admit, it was quite depressing at the start and I used to blame my parents for overfeeding me. But everything changed when I first discovered my love for books.


I was in 2nd grade that time, it was after lunch and I was at our balcony fixing my shoes. My friend's sister approached me and began to brag about a book she had read entitled "Sweet Valley Kids: Steven's Big Crush". Because I had nothing to do during the weekends, I borrowed it from her. And that was the beginning of sleepless nights trying to finish reading a book.

Books became my constant companion, books can't tease me nor hurt me physically. Reading became my life; Sweet Valley, Goosebumps, American Girl's Collection, Nancy Drew. It was simply overwhelming. Whenever I read a book, I began to forget that I'm Fat Alona and I started to dream that I was the heroine. With books, I used my imagination and traveled to different places and met different people. But because I was born poor, I would just usually borrow one from the nearby libraries.


After class I would rush to the library and, as usual, find it deserted. But I didn't mind, I actually loved it. Sunlight would peek behind the curtains as I searched the bookshelves for something good to read. After I decided on one, I would sit at the couch or slumped at the floor between the bookshelves. But I usually bring books home from the library, and spend my weekends reading a good book.

All throughout the years books as well as music became my bestfriend. They were the ones who comforted me during those depressing times. First heartbreak, failed exams, being betrayed by friends, peer pressure and the different problems that comes along with teenage life.
Up to now, reading still gives me comfort. It still and sure will forever.

No comments: